The Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences (FPIK) was established starting with the establishment of the Department of Fisheries at the Faculty of Animal Husbandry through the Decree of the Rector of Diponegoro University No. 44/1968 dated 8 October 1968. On 17 August 1978, the name of this faculty changed to the Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, based on the Decree of the Rector of Diponegoro University No. 76/SK/UD/VI/1978. However, in 1982 the name changed back to Faculty of Animal Husbandry with the issuance of Presidential Decree No.51 / 1982. In 1985, based on the Circular Letter of the Directorate General of Higher Education Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia No. 1023/D/Q/1985 dated June 6, 1985, initiated the development of the Marine Science Study Program at Diponegoro University along with five other Indonesian universities (Bogor Agricultural Institute, Pattimura University, Sam Ratulangi University, Hasanuddin University and Riau University).
Subsequent developments, UNDIP then received the Director General of Higher Education Decree No. 54/Dikti/Kep/1987, which was revised in 1988 by Decree of the Director General of Higher Education No. 24/Dikti/Kep/1988, regarding the formation of the Undip Marine Science Study Program, where the administrative management of the teaching staff is at the Faculty of Animal Husbandry, while the academic aspect is under the coordination of the Chancellor with the executor of the Marine Science Study Program Management Agency.
In 1994, the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences (FPIK) was established, in accordance with the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia No.0181/0/1994, dated July 25, 1994, which consists of two departments, namely the Department of Fisheries and the Department of Marine Sciences.
In September 2016, the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences was reformed into six the Departments:
- Department of Aquatic Resources; managing the Undergraduate Program in Aquatic Resources Management; Master Program in Water Resources Management and Doctoral Program in Aquatic Resources Management;
- Department of Aquaculture; managing the Undergraduate program in Aquaculture;
- Department of Capture Fisheries; managing the Undergraduate Program in the Utilization of Fishery Resources;
- Department of Fishery Product Technology; managing the Fishery Product Technology undergraduate program;
- Department of Marine Science; managing the Marine Science undergraduate program; Master Program in Marine Science and Doctoral Program in Marine Science;
- Department of Oceanography; managing the undergraduate program in Oceanography.